Monday, May 21, 2018

Graduation Weekend


























Last weekend I graduated from law school. I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was 12 years old, and I went straight from undergrad to law school, without taking any time to work in between, so law school graduation felt like the culmination of years and years of hard work. My fiance, parents, brother, and grandparents all came to celebrate with me, and it was a very special weekend. Now, my next step is to take the Bar Exam in late July. I'll be staying in North Carolina to study for the Bar, and then I'll travel around Spain and Portugal for a few weeks after taking the Bar, before moving up to New Jersey and finally starting my job as an actual lawyer. North Carolina has been a fun place to live for the past three years, but I'm excited to move up north and become an East Coaster.


























I thought about wearing a traditional white dress for my graduation, but most of the white dresses that I tried on looked very young and playful, and made me feel like I was graduating from high school instead of law school. I wanted to find a dress that was a bit more mature and sophisticated. As I move into the next phase of my life as a young professional, I want my style to mature with me. I settled on this lovely blush A-Line dress from Kate Spade. The blush color felt like a more sophisticated alternative to the traditional white. A neutral, light color with a bit more maturity. I wanted to make sure that my dress wouldn't clash with the purple on my robe and hat, and blush paired nicely. The high neckline and short sleeves made the dress feel a bit more professional, while the rhinestone embellishments kept it fun and feminine. It was very much an appropriate balance for a law school graduation.


Graduation involved a lot of standing around and walking from place to place, so I made sure to wear comfortable wedges that I could walk in, instead of high stiletto heels. Nude wedges were perfectly understated and paired nicely with my blush dress. Since my dress had sparkles on it already, I kept my jewelry relatively understated with a fun watch and Kate Spade earrings that matched the rhinestones on the dress. My goal with my graduation outfit was to really embrace a timeless, classic, and sophisticated look, so that I'll be able to look back on the pictures for years to come and still feel good about what I was wearing.


























No comments:

Post a Comment