Monday, June 4, 2018

Everything's Bigger in Texas



Over Memorial Day weekend, I met up with a group of my sorority sisters from college in Austin, TX. Some of us came from various places on the East Coast, and a few came from California, so we decided to meet in the middle in Austin, a city that most of us had never been to before. I had never been anywhere in Texas prior to this trip, and it was so much fun exploring a new city with friends that I don't get to see that often.


Half of us got in on Thursday afternoon, and we immediately found a Tex-Mex restaurant for dinner and margaritas. An evening of tacos and margaritas definitely put us in the vacation mindset. Friday morning we found a yoga class in the UMLAUF Sculpture Garden. The setting was so serene and perfect for yoga, and getting a little bit of exercise in at the start made me feel less guilty about indulging for the rest of the weekend. We grabbed some lunch at La Barbecue, you can't go to Texas and not get barbecue at some point, and spent the afternoon at a brewery outside of the city with great rustic views. Everyone else got in Friday night and we spent the evening catching up over a couple bottles of wine. 


On Saturday we spent the day tubing down the San Marcos river, about 45 minutes outside of Austin. It was basically a giant day party on the river, and almost everyone was around our age. We managed to make it down the river only losing a pair of sunglasses; all cellphones, credit cards, and IDs made it out okay. On Sunday, we went to brunch and spent the day exploring more of the city. We love to get dressed up for brunch and make it into an event, so we were definitely a little overdressed compared to everyone else in the restaurant, but as a group we got so many compliments throughout the day about how cute we looked. After brunch we rented electric scooters and cruised around downtown Austin. With the scooters we were able to see so much of the city in a short amount of time. We ended the afternoon on Rainey Street, which was such a cute neighborhood. It's a street full of adorable houses that have been converted into bars and restaurants. There are so many cute porches and patios to stop at and enjoy a cocktail and some people watching.


I had so much fun wearing this brightly patterned shirtdress to brunch and around town. The tropical print gives it such a vacation vibe, and the cotton is super breathable, which was perfect for the Texas heat. The white color of the fabric also helped keep it cool, without being see through or sheer at all. I love how easy it is to look put together in the summer with a shirtdress. They're so comfortable and don't require any adjusting throughout the day. I added a skinny brown belt to give the dress more waist definition, and it created the perfect hourglass shape. The dress was such a fun pattern that I didn't need to accessorize much. My sunglasses were my most important accessory. It was a clear and cloudless day, so it was basically impossible to go outside without sunglasses on. These Kate Spade sunglasses are quickly becoming some of my favorites. They add a touch of glamour, while still being perfect for everyday wear.


We finished the day by grabbing tacos for dinner again, and heading out to the infamous 6th Street at night. It was so much fun to catch a minute or two of live music while walking between bars, and none of the bars were over crowded. We all flew out on Monday, but my flight was late enough that I was able to check out the graffiti park before I left. The graffiti was really cool to look at, but the park was way to hip for me and I did not feel cool enough to be hanging out there. As someone who has never been to Texas before, and can't think of a specific reason to visit again in the near future, I got a good taste of Texas in a long weekend. I had a blast catching up with my college friends that I haven't seen in awhile, and taking in everything that Austin has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment