Monday, April 9, 2018

Formal Florals


























Last weekend was my law school's Barrister's Ball. It's essentially a grown up prom with drinks and dancing. It's a formal event with most of the men in suits and the women in long gowns or fancy cocktail dresses. I don't want to buy a dress for this event, because I knew I was only going to wear it once, so I opted to use Rent The Runway. My dress showed up, with a free back up size, on Thursday night, I wore it Saturday night, and returned it in the mail Monday morning. I've used Rent The Runway before for the Marine Corps Ball and for sorority formals in college, and it's always so easy and convenient.

I absolutely loved the dress that I chose to rent for this event. It was fun, flattering, and easy to dance to. Since I'm a little on the shorter side, I try to avoid wearing floor length dresses when I can, and I loved the high-low hem on this dress. Being able to see my ankles and a little bit of leg in front helped make my body look elongated, and less short. The print on the dress is absolutely stunning. I got tons of compliments on the elegant floral patterns, and I stood out amongst a sea of solid colored dresses. The best thing about this dress was the pockets though. It had two huge pockets that were hidden in the folds of the fabric. I fit my phone, keys, lipstick, and small card wallet in the two pockets, and there was no extra bulk or strange lumps. It was so convenient to not have to carry a purse. I was able to dance the night away without worrying about losing my purse or hitting anyone with it.


























I wanted the pattern of my dress to be the focal point of my outfit, so I kept my jewelry simple and delicate with these gold drop earrings and a few stacked gold bangles. The earrings were so light and delicate that I almost forgot that I was wearing them throughout the night, and they added a beautiful touch of elegance. Similarly, I loved how simple the stacked bangles were, they're thin and have a touch of sparkle, but nothing loud or chunky, so they complemented the dress instead of overwhelming it.

























I opted to wear wedges instead of heels that night, so I would have no trouble on the dance floor. For formal or semi-formal events that I know will involve dancing or a lot of time on my feet, I generally opt for wedges or low chunky heels. Having foot pain or having to constantly sit down for a minute takes away the fun of the night, so I save my high heels for events that are centered around a dinner or a talk, where I know I'll mostly be sitting. These nude wedges are one of my go-tos for events like this. The nude color makes my legs look longer, and they're incredibly comfortable. I spent about two and a half hours on the dance floor with no problem. This was one of my last law school events before graduation, and my dress and shoes made it so that I could have a fun time without any worries.

Dress: Rent the Runway

Earrings: Kendra Scott

Bracelets: Kendra Scott

Shoes: Nordstrom (similar)

For $30 off your first Rent the Runway rental, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment