Monday, January 15, 2018

Lady in Black



Last weekend was my fiance's 24th birthday, so it was a good excuse to dress up and have a night on the town. I find that when I'm getting dressed up in the winter, I often reach for a classic little black dress. I need to wear tights with dresses in the winter (I'm not willing to freeze in the name of fashion) and my go to are just basic black semi-opaque tights, and they tend to look great with a black dress. I got this particular LBD from J. Crew this past summer, and it's a great all-weather dress. The material is relatively light, so it's comfortable in the summer with black sandals, or with bright red or blue sandals for a splash of color. But it also looks great with tights and black booties, so in the winter I can throw a coat over it and it's still a seasonally appropriate dress. I love this dress because it's essentially a simple shift, so it's very classic and timeless, but the ruffles and touch of eyelet lace around the neckline give it some pizzazz, so it's not boring. My fiance is a big fan of this dress, and he says that it gives me a bit of an Audrey Hepburn-Breakfast at Tiffany's vibe, which is a comparison that I love.



To keep warm, I wore my Kate Spade coat, that I received for Christmas, over this dress. I've written about this coat in a previous post, but I love in because it's incredibly thick and warm, it makes me feel classy and elegant, and there is a super cute bow detail in the back that is classic Kate Spade. This coat will be by go to elegant coat in the winter for years to come.

























Since my dress, tights, and coat were all black, I decided to bring a black purse to keep with the classic, timeless look of all black. I got this purse from Kate Spade about two years ago, and it's a great evening purse. It's big enough to fit a card holder, smartphone, keys, and a lipstick or two, but small enough to still be a dainty evening purse. I love the quilted material, it gives the purse a very luxurious vibe, and the solid black color and gold hardware go with almost any outfit. Once I've started working full-time and actually have a real income, I want a medium-sized quilted Chanel bag, and this purse is a good placeholder until I'm at that point.

























Because the hardware of my purse was gold, I was inclined to stick with gold for my jewelry. My earrings are House of Harlow 1960. They're an off-kilter square made up of nine pyramids with faux-diamonds at the tip of each pyramid. They're simultaneously glitzy and simple, so they go with everything, and they have a fun retro vibe that complimented the Audrey Hepburn look I was channeling. Since I wasn't really wearing color anywhere else, I decided to have fun with my watch. My watch is the Kate Spade Wine and Dine watch, and it's perfect for an evening out. It's a little too whimsical for an ordinary day in class or at the office, but the wine glass detail and the wine-colored band are perfect for a date night, or for dinner or drinks with a friend. Kate Spade has some of the cutest watches that I've ever seen, and since I love wine (hence the "pinot" aspect of pearls, pinot and parmesan) when I first saw this watch I immediately had to have it. I love to stack a simple bracelet or two with my watches, so for this outfit I added a Kate Spade bedazzled bow bangle that I got about a year ago. The bow detail on this bracelet compliments the bow detail in the back of my coat, and the gold base with some extra bling goes well with my earrings.

All together, I was very pleased with how this outfit turned out. Small details in my jewelry and clothing worked well together, and I felt very classy and timeless as I was wearing this. It was a great outfit for a winter-time special occasion, and my fiance liked the outfit, which is an added bonus, especially because it was his birthday.


Coat: Kate Spade, available at Macy's and Lorde & Taylor, similar available at Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's.

Dress: J. Crew last summer, currently has similar available here and here, similar also available at Vineyard Vines.

Purse: Kate Spade two years ago, currently has similar available here and here.

Tights: Basic drugstore black tights, for an extra touch, I recommend these.

Shoes: Steve Madden five years ago, similar from this season.

Earrings: House of Harlow 1960, also available on Amazon.

Bracelet: Kate Spade two years ago, similar available this season.

Watch: Kate Spade, similar with cocktail, similar with champagne

No comments:

Post a Comment